[C++-sig] Re: New indexing suite nearing review readiness

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Oct 6 15:18:22 CEST 2003

Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I'm almost ready to release the new indexing suite for general testing
> and review. Documentation is now available from:
>
> http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/python/indexing/containers.html
>
> In order to make the code generally usable, it will need some Jamfile
> changes since there are two non-template .cpp modules, and I'm not
> sure how best to go about this. The easiest way (for me) would be to
> add the new .cpp files directly to the Boost CVS repository, probably
> in the libs/python/src/object directory and update
> libs/python/build/Jamfile.  I would also need to add some stuff to
> libs/python/test (two .cpp modules and about ten .py
> modules). Otherwise, I would probably have to update boost-sandbox to
> the point where users can build Boost.Python out of there, but I think
> that is probably not worth the effort. Any objections to just cramming
> it into the real CVS at this stage?

I think I'd like to leave that up to Joel, since he's been watching
your work more closely than I have.  Joel?

> BTW, the two .cpp modules in question are slice.cpp, which handles
> Python slice objects and python_iterator.cpp that provides a (very)
> basic interface to Python iterable objects, using internally either
> __iter__ or __getitem__.

Shouldn't that be called "iterable.cpp"?  We already have an
"iterator.cpp".

> Also, I'll need to decide on the namespace name to put the suite
> into. It is currently in ::indexing, but should probably go in
> ::boost::python::indexing or maybe better ::boost::python::container
> so that it can co-exist with the existing indexing suite. Any comments
> on this matter?

Not yet.  I think Joel had some ideas about how the namespaces should
look, so I guess I'll call on him for an opinion too.