[C++-sig] Re: New indexing suite nearing review readiness

Joel de Guzman joel at boost-consulting.com
Mon Oct 6 18:37:43 CEST 2003

Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> "Joel de Guzman" <joel at boost-consulting.com> writes:

>> I have no objections with that. I think it's a good idea to put it
>> in the CVS.  How about a branch? Then when things settle down to a
>> stable state, we merge it to the HEAD?
>
> Sounds like a great idea to me. I've never created a branch in CVS
> before, so I think I'll try it out in the sandbox first. Any advice on
> putting a *new* file on a branch, so it doesn't immediately appear on
> HEAD?

Pardon me but I don't quite understand what you mean. AFAIK, if you
place a new file on a branch, it doesn't immediately appear on HEAD
unless you merge it.

>>> Not yet.  I think Joel had some ideas about how the namespaces should
>>> look, so I guess I'll call on him for an opinion too.
>>
>> Why should it coexist? Shouldn't it fully replace the old?
>
> Well, the only trouble is that the interface is different. From the
> activity in this group, there are already a number of people using the
> existing code, so I was thinking about providing a transition
> period. By the sounds of it, you would prefer a clean break? I suppose
> people can always use the older versions from CVS if they really have
> to.

I don't think the new interface is too great a departure from the original, is it?
Anyway, would it be possible to have a transition API that mimics the old
interface?

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com