[C++-sig] Re: New indexing suite nearing review readiness

Joel de Guzman djowel at softhome.net
Mon Oct 6 19:44:09 CEST 2003

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve <rwgk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I have no objections with that. I think it's a good idea to put it
>>> in the CVS.  How about a branch? Then when things settle down to a
>>> stable state, we merge it to the HEAD?
>>
>> Sounds like a great idea to me. I've never created a branch in CVS
>> before, so I think I'll try it out in the sandbox first. Any advice on
>> putting a *new* file on a branch, so it doesn't immediately appear on
>> HEAD?
>
> Based on my past experience, working with branches in the given situation
> creates more problems than it solves. Since I might want to play with the new
> indexing suite I am strongly in favor of simply checking in the new files on
> the HEAD.

I've never had any problems with branches at all. I see no reason why you can't
play with the new indexing suite while sitting on a separate branch.  My main
Boost (and Spirit) directory has directories from different branches. When I
find a branch stable, I merge it to the head. What "more problems" are you
referring to in particular?

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com