[C++-sig] Re: Pyste suggestion: MSVC precompiled headers support

Nicodemus nicodemus at globalite.com.br
Wed Oct 8 04:29:12 CEST 2003

Mike Rovner wrote:

>Nicodemus wrote:
>

>>Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
>>

>>>Pyste output could be exactly the same on all platforms. -- Too much
>>>wishful thinking?
>>>

>>could implement a --msvc option, I just didn't thought about that. 8)
>>Opinions?
>>

>Ralf suggested and I second opinion that generated code shall be exactly
>same and
>not depends on the platform it was generated. All neccessary platform
>dependancies
>shall be included in the code itself like the PCH example garded by #if
>directives.

Hmm, I agree. I just did this change because I thought it would make the
code ugly for people (though harmless) that didn't use msvc. I will make
this change then.

>Another approach was suggested some time ago - deeply integrate pyste and
>BPL so
>that pyste (python) can actualy be used (almost) instead of C preprocessor.
>For now AIUC it's too far fetched.

Yeah, the idea IIRC, according to Dave, is to expose a lower-level
interface with the objective of reducing the compilation time.

Regards,
Nicodemus.