[C++-sig] Re: msvc_typeid problem on Intel/Linux compiler

Raoul Gough RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 17:13:38 CEST 2003

David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
[snip]
>> From the CVS log, the current test was introduced for an Intel 7.0
>> Beta - maybe this changed prior to release? Strangely, icc -V reports
>> "Version 7.1 Build 20030307Z" despite the value of
>> BOOST_INTEL_CXX_VERSION. On the other hand, maybe this is a Linux
>> vs. Windows issue with the Intel compiler, and the test needs to check
>> the platform as well? Unfortunately, I can't confirm whether using >=
>> is OK on Windows, so I don't know if the fix is good or not.
>
> I believe the workaround is only needed on Windows, because Intel
> tries to emulate the bugs of MSVC.  Maybe
>
> #  if !defined(_MSC_VER)                                      \
>      || !BOOST_WORKAROUND(BOOST_MSVC, <= 1300)                \
>         && !BOOST_WORKAROUND(BOOST_INTEL_CXX_VERSION, <= 700)
>
> ??
>
> If that works for you, Raoul, you can check it in (don't forget to
> make sure boost/detail/workaround.hpp is included).

Dave, this checked out OK on Intel, so I've updated the CVS. The
container suite should now build without problems on Intel C++ 7.1 for
Linux, but the exception-related issues with gcc-built Python
interpreters remain. Note that I have found a workaround for this -
forcing the loading of a couple of Intel shared object libraries
before Python starts execution seems to solve the problem:

export LD_PRELOAD="/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/lib/libunwind.so.3
/opt/intel/compiler70/ia32/lib/libcxa.so.3"

More details to follow in the thread "Linux Intel compiler exception
problems in Python"

--
Raoul Gough.
(setq dabbrev-case-fold-search nil)