[C++-sig] Re: RTTI and image size

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Oct 18 15:17:09 CEST 2003

"Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge at nedprod.com> writes:

> Been doing some poking around, and it seems a good proportion of the
> huge binary is RTTI info. I'm seeing lots of repeating sections of
> data with very little variance.
>
> How well does BPL work if RTTI is disabled?

It doesn't.  RTTI is an integral part of how Boost.Python works.

> I /really/ wish RTTI info was filterable ...

When and if Daniel Wallin and I get the Luabind/Boost.Python
integration done, there will be some support for users to plug in
their own hand-rolled type identification mechanisms... but don't
expect it to be pretty.  You'll have to supply some C++ code.  For
example, using Pyste to generate bindings using 100% Pure Python
won't be an option.