[C++-sig] boost.python on OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 00:47:55 CET 2003

--- Sean Spicer <saspicer at mac.com> wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> gcc -v reports:
>
> gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)
>
> I'd really like to help out and get boost.python running nicely on OS
> X...but I just started trying today <sheepish grin>, so I may need some
> hand-holding.

That's the same version I had so much fun with:

http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/boost_python/

See the first link in the list under Mac OS 10. I am wondering if Apple has
fixed some of the problems:

- Does the optimizer work? (it works, btw, with gcc 3.3.1)
- Is it possible to link and run all tests in boost/libs/python/test?
- Is the horrendous problem fixed that we have to work around in
  boost/libs/python/src/converter/registry.cpp (look for
  BOOST_PYTHON_CONVERTER_REGISTRY_APPLE_MACH_WORKAROUND)?

Since you seem to have bjam working, could you try all tests? cd to
boost/libs/python/test, issue the bjam command that you worked out, followed by
the word test. Here is what worked for me a while ago:

bjam -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.3 -sTOOLS=darwin -sBUILD=debug -sRUN_ALL_TESTS=1 test

Unfortunately, trying this with the most current cvs I get
<@boost!libs!python!test>crossmod_exception_a.so: required property
<warnings>off incompatible with <warnings>on

Maybe Rene can help?

Ralf