[C++-sig] boost.python on OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Rene Rivera grafik.list at redshift-software.com
Thu Oct 30 17:29:23 CET 2003

[2003-10-30] Sean Spicer wrote:

>Hi Rene,
>
>On Oct 30, 2003, at 8:46 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> Could try specifying the framework as:
>>
>>     <framework>Python/Versions/2.3
>
>Done, no go.
>
>> And for that matter could you check to see if you have:
>>
>>     /System/Libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3
>
>Nope, but I have
>/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3. Grin.
>                                                       ^^^

Well that's strange.

>> Or if that versioned path doesn't exist try this framework spec:
>>
>> <framework>/System/Libraries/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
>> Current
>>

>This one doesn't work either.
>
>I think with 10.3 what you really want to specify on the compile line
>is "-framework Python" it won't take a path switch.  There's some way
>to setup the versioning match in then environment with the
>$HOME/.MacOSX/environment.plist stuff, but I'm having trouble finding
>it via google this morning.

It looks like they changed this for 10.3/gcc-3.3 :-( Just like Apple to keep
breaking things.

But reading some of the new 10.3 docs I have something else for you to
try... Instead of just the <framework>Python use:

    <framework>Python
    <linkflags>-F/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3.

>Of course, if your an old UNIX hack like me, you can also just build
>python by hand (use the --enable-framework switch) and update your
>frameworks manually. Grin.

Well, yes, but having it work without any user changes is the goal ;-)

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera (at) acm.org - grafik (at) redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 (at) icq