[C++-sig] Building boost.python on Mac OS X

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Sep 11 11:22:38 CEST 2003

> --- Harri Hakula < Harri.Hakula at hut.fi > wrote:
> > > A few months ago one of my regression tests uncovered that some
> objects >> are double-destructed. Maybe this is related. I sent a bug
> report to >> Apple but never got a confirmation that the issue is
> resolved. Would >> you be interested in trying the regression test?
> >Yes, of course. Create an empty directory somewhere on your Mac (e.g.
> /var/tmp/debug) and
> download these two files:
> http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/bugs/mac_os/test_for_double_destruction_csh
> http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/bugs/mac_os/
> test_for_double_destruction.tar.gz Then
>
> chmod 755 test_for_double_destruction_csh
> ./test_for_double_destruction_csh
>
> This should unpack the tar file (contains boost, scons and some of our
> code) and compiles, links and runs one of our regression tests.
>
> On our Mac OS 10.2.? (? = 1, I think) with the Jun or Jul developer's
> kit + Aug patch the output ends with:
>
> Total OK: 1300
> a_value_allocation: -12
>
> The last line indicates the double-destruction problem. If you don't
> see the last line there is no such problem.
>
> Please let me know how it goes.

FYI,

scitbx/array_family/tst_af_4.exe
Total OK: 1300
[crack:~/tmp/debug] bob% gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1435)

This is OS X 10.2.6, with the XCode preview dev tools, the gcc 3.3
compiler selected, and MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.2 environment
variable

I'm just finishing CVS co right now to check out Boost.Python w/ Python
2.3, I'll make another post later about how that goes.

-bob