[C++-sig] Building boost.python on Mac OS X

Jonathan Brandmeyer jbrandmeyer at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 05:31:39 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 14:07, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:

> Ever since May the scitbx and all the other modules in the cctbx (of which
> scitbx is one) are fully functional under Mac OS X; ever since gcc 3.3.1 was
> released even with full optimization:
>
>     http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/

> Follow the "Mac OS X notes" link for more information. I am using gcc
> 3.3.1

I just repeated your results on our machine and have a couple of
comments / questions.  The source package for Python 2.3 uses build
rules that are incompatible with FSF GCC.  So, I built Python with the
Apple-distributed GCC 3.1 and Boost.Python with the FSF-distributed GCC
3.3.1.

> from gcc.gnu.org. Very important: you have to increase the stacksize
> limit to
> avoid internal compiler errors!

I'm using Boost.Python 1.30.0 (with Debian patches) with G++ 3.3.1 on
Debian without any ICE's.  Can you elaborate?

Finally, have you or anyone else had any experience building
Boost.Python with a non-framework installation of Python (such as that
packaged by fink)?

Thanks,
Jonathan Brandmeyer