[C++-sig] Re: [Implementation] Calling wrapped functions, converters, policies

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 04:34:07 CEST 2003

--- Mike Rovner <mike at nospam.com> wrote:
> Niall Douglas wrote:
> > Lastly, anything to reduce compile times would be a boon. I have a
> > dual Athlon 1700, yet to compile a full set of bindings will take
> > twenty hours or so. This is unacceptable.
>
> I'm happy with precompiled headers. They reduced my compilation time at
> least tenfold.
> MSVC7.1, P4 2.4GHz
>
> So IMHO they worth give them a try.

Another option is to use the new dual-CPU Xeons with hyper threading. If I run
four compile jobs in parallel (scons -j 4 or bjam -j4) the factor compared to
compiling with a single CPU is about 3.8.
Ralf
P.S.: Strangely, the machines are delivered with hyper threading disabled. Make
sure this option is turned on before trying -j 4.