[C++-sig] python-list to c++-vector

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Mon Sep 29 18:00:35 CEST 2003

Mmmm ... if you really want to only have list, you may use
boost::python::list as argument : simpler, clearer and boost.python does
the verification job for you !

But if you want to be able to extract every sequence, I would suggest
the use of python iterator as it's more general. For that, you should
use the PyObject_GetIter function (or there is a boost object ???) and
then use the "next" attribute like this :

void set( boost::python::object o )
{
  try
    {
      object iter_obj = object( handle<>( PyObject_GetIter( o.ptr() ) )
);
      while( 1 )
	{
	  object obj = extract<object>( iter_obj.attr( "next" )() ); // Should
always work
	  int val = extract<int>( obj ); // Should launch an exception if you
wannot extract an int ...
	  _ints.push_back(val);
  catch( error_already_set )
    {
      PyErr_Clear(); // If there is an exception (no iterator, extract
failed or end of the list reached), clear it and exit the function
      return;

The only pb I have with my function is you cannot make the difference
between the various exceptions.