[C++-sig] Re: help building hello world example on Debian

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 09:27:41 CEST 2004

--- Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:24:28 -0400, Daniel Holth <dholth at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > One side effect of using the debian or gentoo boost package is that
> > it's not laid out the same as the boost distribution.  There will be
> > no BOOST_ROOT laid out similarly to the way boost jam expects.  > Do
> > you have the boost sources or just the debian package?  Your chances
> > for success are greater if you download the boost distribution.
>
> I have the debian package installed. I also downloaded the debian
> sources for boost, which are the boost sources patched for debian.
>
> I was hoping that someone who uses Debian could tell me the correct
> compilation arguments to pass to g++, which I can then use to write a
> simple Makefile for hello.cpp. Surely it cannot be so difficult.

If you have a fast network connection you could go to this site:

http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/

Download "cctbx_bundle.selfx" (or one of the other source code bundles that
include the Python sources if necessary; the complete Boost tree from about two
days ago is included in all source code bundles). Issue

perl cctbx_bundle.selfx

If you are lucky you will see the compilation commands fly by. Copy and paste
into your Makefile.

Warnings:

1. You will get a lot more than you actually want. Ctrl-C after you've seen a
few link commands producing *_ext.so.

2. We don't have a Debian system. I cannot guarantee that it works. If you
don't see compilation commands within one minute after downloading the selfx
file send me the error message or discard this idea :)

Ralf

P.S.: If you have the patience to wait for the entire compilation to finish and
it works all the way to the end, please let me know.