[C++-sig] Re: help building hello world example on Debian

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:33:47 CEST 2004

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:20:28 +0000 (UTC), Faheem Mitha
<faheem at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:56:43 -0400, David Abrahams
> <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

>> Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

>>> Looking at tools/build/vi, I see a lot of files ending with the words
>>> jam. I have all the relevant binary Debian packages installed, and the
>>> only place I see it is in
>>> /usr/share/doc/libboost-doc/HTML/tools/build/v1 which includes a few
>>> random files like python.jam, which do appear to correspond to the
>>> files in tools/build in the boost sources. Wonder if some of these
>>> files did not get copied by mistake.
>>>
>>> Regardless, these files should be part of a dev package, not a doc
>>> package if they are required for building.
>>
>> I don't know anything about packages; I don't make the debian
>> distros.  You should talk to whoever is responsible for that.
>
> Ok. Looks like I will be filing a bug report. libboost-dev looks like
> a reasonable starting point. Any comments from other Debian users
> here? Is all this already supplied in Debian and I am not aware of it
> somehow?

The following Bugzilla bug report looks like it is relevant in this
context.

In the light of this thread, I don't understand Benjamin Kosnik's
comment that "With Boost 1.31.0-4, boost-jam is deprecated..."

Were the developers ever contacted about this?

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=102390

Thanks.                                                Faheem.