[C++-sig] Re: help building hello world example on Debian

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Fri Apr 16 18:01:51 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:08:26 -0400, David Abrahams
<dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to do this, but getting error messages I don't
>> understand. The hello.cpp referred to is the one in the
>> tutorial. Please tell me your best guess as to what I am doing wrong.
>
> You're not following the directions and the Jamfile template used in
> http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/python/building.html as
> far as I can tell.

I think you mean
http://boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/python/doc/building.html

I am trying to as far as I am able.

The main difference in the Jamfile is that I don't have

 # requirements and dependencies for Boost.Python extensions
  <template>@boost/libs/python/build/extension
  ;

but this clearly won't work unchanged in any case.  What is this
supposed to be pointing to? I am guessing this is for linking. I tried
using the line about

	 <find-library>boost_python

from Daniel Holth's Jamfile instead.

The rest of the stuff is pretty much identical to the Jamfile you
reference. As should be clear from the context, I am just trying to
build a simple hello world extension. I don't want to do anything
else.

Besic information about my system.

1) I have put the build/v1 files in
/usr/local/lib/boost/tools/build/v1

and am pointing to them in boost-build.jam.

2) The boost.python shared library is at /usr/lib/libboost_python.so

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           30 Apr 10 01:29
/usr/lib/libboost_python.so -> libboost_python-gcc-mt-1_31.so

3) There are a lot of fils with hpp extensions in /usr/include/boost/python/
eg. /usr/include/boost/python/dict.hpp. I am not sure what to refer to
these as.

I've now taken out the

 include python.jam ;

line. It does not make any difference to the error message.

I was hoping you could tell me what was causing the error message, at
least. Please help!

                                                      Faheem.