[C++-sig] Re: help building hello world example on Debian

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 20 08:11:50 CEST 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:40:04 -0400, David Abrahams
<dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

>>> Why "clearly"?
>>
>> Because there are no directories of exactly that name on my machine,
>> and I think that line is relative to the boost build system anyway.
>
> Not exactly.  The name after the @ sign is a project name, not a
> directory name.

Oh, I see.

> If you properly edited this line of the Jamrules file:
>
>    path-global BOOST_ROOT : ../../.. ;
>
> Then this line should make @boost refer to BOOST_ROOT
>
>    project boost : $(BOOST_ROOT) ;
>
> And $(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/python/build/Jamfile should contain the
> declaration of the "extension" template.

Hmm. Well, I set BOOST_ROOT according to the instructions as I
understood them. I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I'll ask
the Debian Boost maintainers if they have any ideas.

Since distutils is still working for me, I guess I will have another
try at getting bjam working if/when it fails. Thanks for all your
help, and I am sorry if I have been wasting your time with this.

                                                           Faheem.