[C++-sig] Re: new idea for pyste

Nicodemus nicodemus at esss.com.br
Tue Aug 10 04:53:34 CEST 2004

Hi everybody,

As some of you may have noticed, I have been a little off the list
lately. Right now I have a full day job, I'm finishing my college, and
lately I've been working on a side project for another company on my
spare time. As one can see, little to no time is left to work on my
personal projects (Pyste here included). That's the reason why I
sometimes take days to respond a message or apply patches (which are
very appreciatted. Thanks to all the contributors!). That does not mean
that I plan to abandon Pyste, on the contrary: I plan to give it a good
re-write next year (when I'm finally a graduate 8)), or at least
dedicate a good time to bring it up to good shape (yes Niall, including
fixing AllFromHeader ;)). But enough rambling.

I think the idea is nice, but I would like to see what's the improvement
over something like this:

    import os
    import sys
    from Pyste import pyste

    # manipulate argv as needed
    sys.argv.append(...)

    # add/find include directories at your leisure
    sys.argv.append('-I')
    sys.argv.append('my dir')

    pyste.main()

main() could be made to take an argv instead of always using sys.argv,
but that change is trivial (I was surprised that it was not already that
way: I always write main()'s like that...).

Anyway, I think both ways to work with Pyste are valid: they can coexist
peacefully if Roman's idea is proved to be useful.

Regards,
Nicodemus.