[C++-sig] Software development levels (was: Re: Creating an array in C++)

Daryle Walker darylew at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 14:19:20 CET 2004

On 2/24/04 7:54 PM, "David Abrahams" <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> Philip Austin <paustin at eos.ubc.ca> writes:
[SNIP]
>> Note that numeric::array is still in alpha -- it's lacking the two
>> Numeric functions (ones and zeros) that allocate arrays on the Python
>> side.  One alternative is to use the helper functions at
>> http://www.eos.ubc.ca/research/clouds/num_util.html
>
> Excuse me?  Alpha?!
>
> It may be missing a couple of features, but it's hardly alpha
> software.

If it's missing features, I would consider it alpha-level software.  Recall
that the alpha/beta/final scale relates to feature completeness, NOT code
quality!  The two usually go hand in hand, but not always.  (There are
programs that are awesome even in the alpha stage, and craptacular final
stage programs.  The latter leads to accusations of "rushing the SW out the
door and forcing the beta-testing on [paying] users".)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie