[C++-sig] [OT] gcc bugzilla [was: gcc 3.4 pre-compiled header support?]

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 13:41:15 CET 2004

--- Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> In my experience, gcc bug reports lie dormant for an unpredictable
> amount of time. Sometimes you get an analysis almost immediately
> (especially if the report is simple and in error) and sometimes nobody
> seems to notice it for six months or so.

I filed a few bug reports recently which were attended to within a few hours.
The most important one is fixed already.
I guess I got lucky, but I am posting this here to encourage people to submit
bug reports. Chances are that it will help eventually.

> The best way to get action on
> it is to fix it yourself, of course. Some other suggestions that might
> help - reduce the size of the demonstration code to the absolute
> minimum (ten lines would be good) and test it using the latest
> compiler sources, since it might already be fixed.

Niall wrote that all existing gcc's are broken. In a case like that I'd try
very hard to come up with an alternative approach. It is always a big advantage
if existing/native compilers can be used.
In Niall's case I'd try to write a wrapper around std::vector<> that zeros out
the memory in the destructor.

Ralf