[C++-sig] Re: compile errors with embedding example from tutorial

Graeme Lufkin graeme.lufkin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:05:32 CEST 2004

    I've had similar problems, and have slogged my way to figuring
them out.  The tutorial is wrong, at least on gcc 3.2.3.
  Here's what you want:  After calling Py_Initialize(), you should get
the Python main namespace object by doing:

handle<> main_module(borrowed( PyImport_AddModule("__main__") ));
dict main_namespace = extract<dict>(PyModule_GetDict(main_module.get()));

The first line gets a pointer to the '__main__' module object and
stores it as a borrowed reference in a handle.  The second line gets
the dictionary of the '__main__' module and puts it in a dict C++
object.  You should now use this dictionary as the globals and locals
of PyRun_* functions that you call.  For example:
handle<> unused(PyRun_String("import yourModuleNameHere",
Py_file_input, main_namespace.ptr(), main_namespace.ptr()));
handle<> unused2(PyRun_String("f = file('test_output', 'w')",
Py_file_input, main_namespace.ptr(), main_namespace.ptr()));

You need to name the handle<> objects, even though you don't use them.
 If not, while you may think you're creating an anonymous temporary
that will immediately get destructed, the compiler thinks you're
declaring a function and gets very confused.

Hope this helps.  As usual, I invoke the great spirit of Dave Abrahams
to correct/clarify anything I've said that's not quite right or
misleading.  Good luck

--
    -- Graeme
    graeme.lufkin at gmail.com