[C++-sig] Re: Problem: boost_python 1.31 (release) causes huge memory allocation

Greg Landrum greg.landrum at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 02:31:42 CEST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:20:11 -0400 (EDT), Wirawan Purwanto
<wirawan0 at softhome.net> wrote:

> Nothing, of course. ;) But remember that I use a precompiled python from
> Mandrake. There is no debug code available, IIRC. I couldn't do
> single-step within the python itself. But this is not an issue. What I
> wanted to do is to put some breakpoints in both my code and
> libboost_python.so. Now, how do I set the breakpoint on such dynamic
> libraries? The symbol may not have been loaded by that time, and I've
> never debugged in this way before.

If you run gdb on python itself, you can try setting the breakpoint
right away, newer versions of gdb will give you a message like this:
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n])
just reply 'y' and everything should work ok.

If you have an older version of gdb,  wait until after your .so has
been loaded (after you do an import) and then set the breakpoint.

It's not the nicest solution, but it works just fine (YMMV, of course).

-greg