[C++-sig] Re: compile errors with embedding example from tutorial

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Jul 3 04:19:17 CEST 2004

Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

> Thanks. However, I am not sure which version of the test/embedding.cpp
> you are referring to.

The one in the current CVS.

> The version at
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/test/embedding.cpp which I assume is
> the current CVS,

It is not.

> is the same as the version in 1.31, and neither of
> them have the code you refer to.

Get the current CVS.
http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html#CVS

> In any case, does the code you refer to define an extension module
> which embeds the interpreter

What do you mean by "embeds the interpreter?"  Normally "embedding"
means a stand-alone application calls the Python interpreter.  When an
extension module calls the Python interpreter it's just more
"extending" (unless you're talking about multiple interpreter
instances, in which case you should ask on comp.lang.python -- almost
nobody knows how to handle that correctly).

> and can be called from Python? Because
> that is the case I am interested in. I have been unable to find any
> examples out there along these lines, despite some effort.
>
> The current version of test/embedding.cpp that I have seen is a C++
> executable, and the extension module defined there is called within
> the interpreter that is embedded in this executable. This is not the
> same as what I am trying to do.

Just make a regular extension module and call the interpreter.
Nothing to it.

http://www.boost-consulting.com