[C++-sig] Re: Boost.Python in SUSE 9.0 or SUSE 9.1?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 01:06:25 CEST 2004

--- Chris Hoeppler <hoeppler at diener.iap.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately I was unable to find a macro which
> would allow to decide whether the gcc-version used was patched by SuSE. So
> I guess, that for the time being I have to (a) install an 'official' gcc
> release or (b) apply my patch locally. BTW, a first try with gcc-3.3.4 and
> gcc-3.4.0 seemes to indicate that neither minds the added reference.
> Should they?

That's beyond me...

David, I still think it is not ideal that Boost.Python doesn't work out-of-the
box under SuSE 9.x. What do you think about this plan:

First we verify that the unpatched gcc's don't choke on the added reference. If
that works out we add the reference under a condition like this (reformulated
using BOOST_WORKAROUND):

#if defined(__linux__) && defined(__GNUC__) && __GNUC__ == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__
== 3 && (__GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__ == 1 || __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__ == 3)

Would that be acceptable? I could test with the gcc versions under question
under RedHat.

Ralf