[C++-sig] Re: MSVC 7.1 Multithreaded Dll Memory Leak [long post]

Paul Grenyer paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 13:54:20 CET 2004

Hi

> >something similar. I suspect this is due to the fact that they are
> >Dlls and therefore presumably need the Dll runtime.
>
> I've never heard of an "unknown C++ error" - how about posting some
> more information (compiler, build options, actual error messages :-)

It was just a passing comment, I wasn't asking for help. If I had been
I would have posted more info. :-)

However, now that you've taken an interest, I'll get some more details.
I had just assumed that Dlls probably needed the dll runtime. Is that
right, do you know?

> Not sure how this relates to multi-threaded builds, but there is a
> known leak related to Py_Finalize and the boost Python library:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2003-December/006511.html
>
> "The problem is that Boost.Python hangs on to
> some Python references even after Py_Finalize is called.  When the
> application exits, those reference counts are decremented, even
> though there's no interpreter running."

The problem I am seeing (as I said in a previous post :-) ) is while
the app is running. Changing the runtime (as I have also said) fixed
the problem.

That said, using the static multithreaded runtime appeared to solve the
problem described in the email above.

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
Email: paul at paulgrenyer.co.uk
Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

Have you met Aeryn: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk/aeryn/?
Version 0.3.0 beta now available for download.