[C++-sig] working around the non-const Python C API

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:22:59 CET 2005

[Jeremy Hylton]
> Secondarily, I know that python-dev is a bit hesitant about const
> correctness, but we did get some const char* types added with the new
> bytecode compiler.  Perhaps it's worthwhile to try changing a few of
> the most egregious cases to use const char*.

Nobody will complain about adding const where its lack gets in the
way.  What python-dev doesn't want is another of those massive
checkins where someone more-or-less mindlessly adds const to every
place they can find, introducing a handful of subtle bugs along the
way that create new problems for years.  If you're actively working on
a specific area where adding const eases the pain, that's fine -- then
you're really thinking about each const you add, and testing it right
away too.  That's all good.