[C++-sig] setup.py denies VS6 installed

Gary Robinson grobinson at goombah.com
Tue Jul 5 19:26:56 CEST 2005

I have installed Visual Studio 6 on my XP box.

I'm trying to build an extension with setup.py.

When I enter

    python setup.py build

at the command prompt, it says:

    error: Python was built with Version 6 of Visual Studio,
    and extensions need to be built with the same version
    of the compiler, but it isn't installed.

As I said, it IS installed -- at least in the sense that I can bring up
Visual Studio 6 from the Start menu. Also, the path variable contains
Visual Studio stuff which I assume was put there by the installer.

Any ideas for how I can get setup.py builds working on my machine?

Gary Robinson
Emergent Music, LLC
grobinson at goombah.com
Company: http://www.goombah.com