[C++-sig] [Python-Dev] GCC version compatibility

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Jul 8 00:27:46 CEST 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there has been a well-known recent change either in Python
>> or GCC that would account for these new reports.  Any relevant
>> information would be appreciated.
>
> So what about the theory that it may be that different versions of
> libstdc++ get linked?

That's been confirmed.

> Python is linked with g++ if configure thinks this is necessary

Right.  The question is, when should configure "think it's necessary?"

> and the g++ used to link the extension might be different.
>
> I'd like to see a backtrace of one such mysterious crash.

I don't have it, but ldd confirms that the crash happens when the
versions of libstdc++ in python and in the extension module are
different.  A C++ exception thrown from the extension module into the
Boost.Python library to which it is linked (both compiled and linked
with the same g++) without passing through any of Python's code (of
course) will cause a crash unless Python is using the same libstdc++
as everything else, or unless Python isn't linked with libstdc++.