[C++-sig] [Python-Dev] GCC version compatibility

Christoph Ludwig cludwig at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Jul 17 12:06:09 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 04:01:20PM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Saturday 16 July 2005 20:13, Christoph Ludwig wrote:
> > I submitted patch #1239112 that implements the test involving two TUs for
> > Python 2.4. I plan to work on a more comprehensive patch for Python 2.5 but
> > that will take some time.
>
> I'm only vaguely aware of all of the issues here with linking, but if this
> is to be considered for 2.4.2, it needs to be low risk of breaking anything.
> 2.4.2 is a bugfix release, and I'd hate to have this break other systems that
> work...

I prepared the patch for 2.4.2 since it is indeed a bugfix. The current test
produces wrong results if the compiler is GCC 4.0 which inhibits a successful
build of Python 2.4.

I tested the patch with GCC 2.95, 3.3 and 4.0 - those are the only compilers I
have easy access to right now. I do not see how this patch could cause
regressions on other platforms because it mimics the situation
w.r.t. ccpython.cc: A C++ translation unit calls from main() an extern "C"
function in a separate C translation unit. The test determines whether it is
possible to produce an intact executable if the C compiler is used as linker
driver. If this test causes problems on some platform then you'd expect
trouble when linking the python executable out of ccpython.o and all the other
C object modules anyway.

But, of course, I might be wrong. I do not claim that I am familiar with every
platform's peculiarities. That's why the patch is up for review. I'd appreciate
if users on other platforms test it.

Regards

Christoph
--