[C++-sig] [Python-Dev] GCC version compatibility

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Sun Jul 17 15:21:28 CEST 2005

> I prepared the patch for 2.4.2 since it is indeed a bugfix. The current
> test produces wrong results if the compiler is GCC 4.0 which inhibits a
> successful build of Python 2.4.

I should probably add that I'm not flagging that I think there's a problem
here. I'm mostly urging caution - I hate having to cut brown-paper-bag
releases <wink>. If possible, can the folks on c++-sig try this patch
out and put their results in the patch discussion? If you're keen, you
could try jumping onto HP's testdrive systems (http://www.testdrive.hp.com/).
From what I recall, they have a bunch of systems with non-gcc C++ compilers,
including the DEC^WDigital^Compaq^WHP one on the alphas, and the HP C++
compiler on the HP/UX boxes[1].

(and, it should be added, I very much appreciate the work you've put into
fixing this problem)

Anthony

[1] dunno how useful the HP/UX C++ compiler is going to be - last time I
was exposed to it, many years ago, it was... not good.