[C++-sig] py++ status

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:27:48 CEST 2005

On 7/25/05, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Roman Yakovenko wrote:
>
> > What about Pyste? I think that in a few months I will have all functionality
> > that Pyste has in py++. So I prefer not to invest my time into Pyste.
>
> What about the users who invested into their code and build system relying on pyste ?

I thought about it. And here is my plan:
Pyste scripts is python scripts. I can implement all Pyste interface
functions using
py++. The question is, as you already asked, how big pyste's user base is ?

> While the features you mention seem to me quite worthwhile, I'm not sure such a
> list alone is reason enough for people to switch.

My personal opinion on this subject is: does current software work for you ?
If the answer is yes, then don't change it. If the answer is no, then ...

> Is there no way to enhance pyste itself to sport the same features you mention ?

Yes, there is such way, but is not as simple as it seems.

> What about the underlaying design ? How does that compare to that of pyste ?

py++ does not depend on C++ parser, Pyste integrated with GCC-XML parser
If we take for example ClassExporter class from Pyste, then this class
has next responsibilities:
     1. to define the order of classes to be exported
     2. It knows everything about internal declarations, that should be exported

Pyste, also does not have clear separation between code creation and
code dumping
to file. This is one of the reason why this is so difficult to
implement multiple file mode.

In py++ code_creators.class_t has only one responsibility: to create code.
There is an other package, that is responsible to save code within files.

I can continue the list.

> I'm certainly going to look at py++, at least for inspiration. It would be
> interesting to know how big pyste's user base is, and what could be done to
> mitigate any changes that are imposed on users, i.e. how to provide a smooth
> migration path, if possible.
>
> Regards,
>                 Stefan

Roman Yakovenko.