[C++-sig] Boost.Python

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 16 19:17:17 CEST 2005

David Abrahams wrote:

>>But when I read the rest of that page, all I saw stuff for eval'ing
>>a string or file.  So I thought, "Hmmm, this stuff has not gone very
>>far beyond what Python has been able to do forever."
>

> If you can make some _specific_ suggestions about how to reformulate
> that page, they'd be greatly appreciated.  I mean, "add this text
> here, delete that text, stick a link here to whatever."

David, what is boost.python holding back from offering functions
such as

object run_string(std::string const &text, object &scope);

and

object run_file(std::string const &filename, object &scope);

which are tiny wrappers around PyRun_String and PyRun_File ?

Is there any particular magic that would have to be added to make
that work ?

I remember we had this discussion years ago, but I don't remember
any particular outcome. If it's just a matter of someone having to
submit a patch I could write one. Am I missing any important issue ?

Thanks,
		Stefan