[C++-sig] Trying to install a module (Agrepy)

Reggie Smith reg3777 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 22:34:20 CEST 2005

Hello, everyone. I am trying to install a python
module called agrepy which is a fuzzy string search
tool. However, when the makefile runs I get many
errors like this:
"undefined reference to '_Pystring....

referencing one of the C files that the makefile uses.
I am using GCC 3.4.4 and Cygwin 1.5.18 on Win XP SP2.
>From scanning previous threads I feel very sure this
is a Cygwin specific problem. Am I having it point to
the wrong library or something? The makefile is below:

# Edit this to point to the directory tree in which
Python is found

# Linux
CC = gcc

# When testing
# Uncomment one of these when creating C only version
for testing (see also output below)
# CFLAGS = -g -Wall -Wshaddow  -DDEBUG -DDEBUGDEBUG
#  for agrepy_test
# CFLAGS = -g #  for agrepy_test (free standing C

# The following flag is relevant to Linux but is not
not recognized
# by MacOS X  posix compiler so comment it out
 LDFLAGS = -shared

# Some compilers (not Mac) insist you add -fpic when
compiling to get .so
 LDFLAGS = -shared #-fPIC

# For Mac OSX
# You will need to make the final argument refer to
where the binary lives
LDFLAGS = $(PYTHONROOT)/bin/python2.3

INCLUDES = -I$(PYTHONROOT)/include/python2.3

ALLOBJS = sagrepy.o lagrepy.o agrepy.o agrepy_wrap.o
TESTOBJS = sagrepy.o lagrepy.o agrepy.o

# Uncomment output : agrepy_test  when building C only
version for testing
output :  _agrepy.pyd
# output : agrepy_test

# This is a C-only implementation for testing purposes
agrepy_test:  $(TESTOBJS)
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o agrepy_test $(TESTOBJS)
\usr\local\lib\python2.3 libpython2.3.dll.a

_agrepy.pyd : $(ALLOBJS)

agrepy_wrap.o : agrepy_wrap.c
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c agrepy_wrap.c $(INCLUDES)

agrepy_wrap.c : agrepy.i
	swig -python agrepy.i

$(ALLOBJS): agrepy.h

	rm -f $(ALLOBJS) agrepy_wrap.doc

	rm -f $(ALLOBJS)

	mkdir agrepy_${VERSION}
	cp `cat FILES` agrepy_${VERSION}
	cp FILES agrepy_${VERSION}
	tar cvf agrepy_${VERSION}.tar agrepy_${VERSION}
	gzip agrepy_${VERSION}.tar
	/bin/rm -r agrepy_${VERSION}

Thanks for any help.