[C++-sig] setting up held smart pointer for pure virtual base class

Scott McKay skottmckay at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 02:31:49 CEST 2005

I have a pure virtual base class (so no_init is set).
The base class is held by a smart pointer.
I want to implement that class in python.

I know that calling the __init__ function of the base class sets up the
smart pointer that is held by boost::python.

Is there some other way to set that up given the base class has no __init__
function? If it isn't setup I get an ArgumentError as the types don't match.

If I make the base class virtual (by providing dummy implementations for
what were the pure virtual functions) and call the __init__ everything
works.

Thanks

Scott