[C++-sig] void* questions\thoughts

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Oct 31 22:29:07 CET 2005

"Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge at nedprod.com> writes:

> On 31 Oct 2005 at 14:42, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> > It would be an idea if you didn't quote people's email address in
>> > your replies as spam crawlers pick it up, and some web based
>> > interfaces don't obscure them for you.
>>
>> It might be, but since your address is already all over the mailing
>> list, I'm not adding much risk to you by quoting it.  Anyone can
>> subscribe their email address, including address harvesters.  My email
>> software does that by default, and I don't know how to change it.
>> However, if you can figure out how to get Gnus/Message Mail to replace
>> "@" with "-at-" there, I'll be happy to institute it in my .emacs
>> file.
>
> Still, I'm pretty sure you didn't use to do that. Have you changed
> your config in the last six months?

Nope; same as it ever was.  And you can look back in the message
history to see that I've been doing it that way for years.

>> I have no idea.  Haven't you been submitting patches for that?  Are
>> you going to give me one with docs and regression tests?
>
> No, I've been submitting patches to undo the regression a recent
> change to BPL has caused.

It's not really a regression if you were exploiting a feature that was
unintentional and never supported.

> I found your previous suggestion on how to do it needs me to install
> vc6 which I'll get the time to do next weekend onwards. Right now, I
> have two class tests and an essay due for this week so everything is
> shelved until afterwards - but don't worry, I'll be getting back to
> you then.
>
> Would you integrate a patch adding void * as an opaque type if it
> came with docs, a testcase and ran on vc6?

I'll go you one better.  If you give me everything else -- docs,
tests, and your best guess at a portable solution -- I'll make sure it
works on vc6.  The thing is, I suspect 1.33.1 is going to probably
freeze any day now, so the chance of getting it in is evaporating
fast.  In fact, only by calling it a regression does it have a hope.