[C++-sig] Template Functions

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 18:14:30 CEST 2006

On 10/22/06, Nicolas Tessore <wz_ at gmx.net> wrote:
> Roman Yakovenko wrote:
> > In your opinion how this FAQ should be written?
> I would add a little abstract describing the problem in normal speech,
> so that it gets immediately clear what the answer adresses. Sometimes
> you overlook the solution simply because you fail to see the
> similarities (at least I do this :/).
>
> "How to deal with template on return type functions?"
> "There are situations in which Py++ cannot ..."
>
> This makes it easier for beginners to find their problems in the FAQ :)

Can you contribute such description to the problem? I will integrate it.
The problem is that I think too "low level" and English is not my
native language.

> > This is a bug. I would like to know your opinion: what do you consider
> > to be hard and how
> > you propose to fix it, really.
> The whole setup process is quite underexplained. Not a Py++ issue
> really, but you have to do a lot of additional research to get it to
> run. As I said - this is not a Py++ issue. But I imagine it keeps a lot
> of "I just started" users from using it.
>
> And it makes it harder for me when I want to share my bindings, since I
> will need to write a whole lot of documentation just to enable others to
>   rebuild the Python module:
> Documentation on how to get Boost (easy) and on how to get GCC XML
> (hard: CVS needed, CMake needed, build manually)

You can cut gccxml and CMake by providing GCC-XML generated xml file:

http://tinyurl.com/y8usuv
http://tinyurl.com/y5rosb
http://tinyurl.com/y7pj57

> It's not your fault, and I am really happy you have created such a nice
> language wrapper. I guess it's just to early to expect a fully featured
> solution :)

Not at all. I found a nice installer for boost libraries here
http://boost-consulting.com/download.html

I started to work on "single click" installer for gccxml, pygccxml and Py++.
It could be nice if I will be able to add to it Boost.Python + its dependencies
libraries. This installer will create a real "solution" for C++ Python bindings.

I am aware of the nightmare user should pass. I am looking for cross platform
installer with simple syntax. Any help or recommendation is welcome.

--
Roman Yakovenko
C++ Python language binding