[C++-sig] pointer_holder and pure virtual base classes

Allen Bierbaum abierbaum at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 17:10:42 CET 2006

On 10/29/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> "Allen Bierbaum" <abierbaum at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately I can't do this. The smart pointers I am using are not
> > quite standard
>
> In most cases that shouldn't make a difference; you can always
> overload get_pointer and specialize pointee<>.

I will look into this some more, but the issue wasn't telling
boost.python about the pointers it was the the class library I am
wrapping expects certain things to be true about the classes that you
use it's smart pointers with and what can be done with them.  Because
of this it doesn't end up as easy as just making the held type be a
smart ptr to the wrapper class.  Like I said though I will give it
some more thought and see if there is anything that can be done here.

In the meantime, can you help point me in the right direction to
figure out what is happening here that makes it look like I am
wrapping an object of the right type but instead end up with an object
that can't call it's methods?

I just haven't run into this before so I am more then a bit confused
about what could cause it.

Thanks,
Allen