[C++-sig] Possible Boost.Python (1.33.1) source code problem

J. Michael Owen mikeowen at llnl.gov
Wed Apr 18 19:49:10 CEST 2007

Hi,

Recently we've had the IBM xlC team trying to get the last release of
Boost (1.33.1) to build with xlC, and they have found one problem that
they believe is an error in the Boost source.  They suggest that line
158 of boost/python/detail/def_helper.hpp should be changed from

, keywords<0>

to the fully qualified form

, boost::python::detail::keywords<0>

because they believe the original form to be ambiguous.  The (not too
detailed) message they sent me is as follows:

> ---
> This one we think is a boost source error. The access to keywords need
> to be fully qualified to distinguish it from it earlier use.
> You need to patch your boost header as follows:

Looking at the file I don't necessarily see why the original form is
ambiguous myself.  Does someone more knowledgeable believe this change
is required, or should I push the xlC guys and say we believe this is
still a weakness in their compiler?

Mike Owen.