[C++-sig] boost python build/linking/distribution questions

Tony Kirke tkirke at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 02:25:04 CET 2007

On 2/9/07, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Tony Kirke wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Has anyone automated the process after building a python package using
> > boost/bjam so that either .rpm or .deb distribution packages can be
> > created? (I know there is documentation available but I'm looking for
> > some shortcuts/examples).
> > One issue is the libboost_python.so file. Does it need to be packaged or
> > declared as a dependency. Can this issue be avoided by building with
> > <runtime-link>static?
>
> I'm not exactly sure what your question is about.
> When building an rpm package, you typically start by writing an rpm spec
> file, containing (among many other bits) explicit dependencies
> ('Requires:').
> Using this you can mention any boost rpm package you depend on.
>
> However, rpmbuild itself will figure out what runtime dependencies your
> compiled application / library has (such as DSOs), so any boost.python
> dependency should be resolved automatically.
>
> None of this involves the build system of boost (or boost.python) itself.
>
> HTH,
>                 Stefan
>
> --
>
>       ...ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin...

Thanks for replying. The first question was not boost/python specific and I
was looking for examples from someone who may have done this for a boost
related package. it wasn't clear to me if extra steps are necessary when
using boost/bjam vs the typical makefile way of creating packages for
distribution - which is what all of the examples I've seen use.

What is boost specific, is whether a libboost_python.so file is always
required or whether whatever of it that's needed can be contained in the
.pyd/.dll files through a linker/compiler flag.