[C++-sig] Boost.Python Memory Leaks?

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:41:41 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Lawrence Spector <Lawrence.Spector at canfieldsci.com> wrote:
> If this is true, that's a little upsetting to hear.  Boost is supposed to be
> one of the best and most complete libraries ever written.

I don't think so, first of all they should be useful and only than ...
Boost.Python is one of the most useful libraries for the bindings creation.

> I haven't seen
> this awful practice elsewhere from within boost.

This is not as awful as you think about it.

>  Not releasing dynamically
> allocated memory is a bad programming practice and is not guaranteed to be
> freed on all platforms (although is on most).  Furthermore, any destructors
> never get called.

I am not sure whether you understand what memory Boost.Python doesn't release.

> The Boost.Python group needs to address this issue,
> because IMHO this is a serious bug/design flaw.

I am sure the developers will be glad to get the patches from you :-)
http://boost.org/libs/python/todo.html#pyfinalize-safety

--
Roman Yakovenko
C++ Python language binding