[C++-sig] Fix for TypeError: __init__() should return None, not 'NoneType'

Nicolas P. Rougier Nicolas.Rougier at loria.fr
Thu Nov 1 11:38:11 CET 2007

Hi all,

Just for the record:
While browsing sig-c++ archive I found the question about getting the
message:

Error: TypeError: __init__() should return None, not 'NoneType'

I got the same error message on MacOS.
The reason was that I installed framework python 2.5, build boost for
this version but linked my program against python2.3 (got no warning
from the compiler) because the version I installed did not provide
the libpython2.5.dylib link to the library.

A simple fix is to actually make the link:

cd ~/lib
ln -s /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python
libpython2.5.dylib

and link against python2.5, not python (which is indeed python2.3).

Hope this helps.

Nicolas