[C++-sig] To Spicy For Py++ [was: A wrapped class contains another wrapped class. Hilarity ensues.]

Matthew Scouten matthew.scouten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:27:58 CET 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 2:06 PM, Roman Yakovenko <roman.yakovenko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007 9:59 PM, Matthew Scouten <matthew.scouten at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > We did try that. GCC-XML chokes on our library code. It was originally
> > written for C,  and later ported to C++.  Along the way it picked up
> some
> > crazy preprocessor and template hacks and even some meta-template
> > programming. Granted most of this stuff is not the part we need to wrap,
> but
> > it is not easily separable. On top of all that, it was written with
> msvc8 in
> > mind, not GCC.
> >
> > Even with with options set to emulate msvc8, GCC-XML generates hundreds
> of
> > error messages the last of which is "internal compiler error". It works
> fine
> > on other code, and our library compiles just fine on msvc8.
>
> :-(. Did you try new latest cvs version of gccxml? It is built on top
> of GCC 4.2.
> SVN version of Py++ and pygccxml should work fine with it.

Yes, when we started a couple of months ago we got it fresh from cvs. I had
to get it at home and carry it in on a  flashdrive because some fire wall
between here and there prevented me from pulling down at work.  Then I had
to get Cmake and get the Dad-Blasted thing to compile. Then I had to find
the right options to beat it with to get it to work on simple example code.
Finally, I point it at our library and what does it do? It blows up in my
face.

If there has been a major update in the past 2 or 3 months, it might be
worth checking out again. otherwise I am not throwing any more time down
that rabbit hole.