[C++-sig] python-3k

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 23:20:44 CEST 2007

I didn't get very far because even

print "hello world"

doesn't work anymore in Python 3. Therefore I cannot use our build system and all the Boost.Python unit tests will also be broken.

I decided it is best to wait for Python 2.6 and to follow the transition path as outlined here:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3000/#compatibility-and-transition

Also, it may take a while before it is worth the effort. I couldn't find anything new in Python 3 that would be worth giving up backward compatibility, or maintaining two versions of everything. Python 3 mainly seems to be a big cleanup at this stage.

Ralf