[C++-sig] how to return arbitrary (python-)objects from boost?

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 23 14:26:29 CEST 2008

Joerg,

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do, or
whether that's actually needed...

Joerg Kurlbaum wrote:

> Now i want my boost wrapper to return a QImage directly that is usable
> with pyqt4. But i have no idea how i can return arbitrary objects with
> boost. For the numpy array i used the num_utils and can then do
> something like this:
>
>   return boost::python::extract<boost::python::numeric::array>(obj);

If you mean by 'arbitrary objects' python objects, you can certainly
pass those. In C++ they are spelled boost::python::object, and you can
pass them as function arguments or return values as any other type.
Conversion from C++ types to boost::python::object is implicit as long
as there are registered converters.

For a more specific answer it might be best if you show some code...

Regards,
		Stefan