[C++-sig] Set optimization level for build_ext ??

David Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Mon Jun 30 19:47:49 CEST 2008

Michael Wieher wrote:
>> This is neither a Python question nor a C++ question.  I'm not telling
>> you to get lost, but you might get better results in a GCC forum.
>
> No... maybe you're not familiar with the tool I'm trying to use.  But
> you're WAY off.
> This belongs here.  I think?  This is the SIG for Python/C++ integration?
> so, for questions relating to things described on this (and related) page(s)
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/ext/intro.html
>
> I should ask here?  even if it is NOT boost-related, it is DIRECTLY
> related to integrating C++ into Python.  I'm sorry that I'm not using
> your software...

It has nothing to do with my software.  Your command-line used "gcc,"
which AFAIK will not do C++ compilation unless you use the variant
called "g++"

> Or, where?  Obviously you didn't really read too closely, since what
> I'm actually talking about a binary created by the distutils module (a
> python module) that is directly importable into C++.
> that has NOTHING to do with GCC.  At all, ever.  My issue is the level
> of control distutils gives me when creating these library.so files.
>
> distutils allows one to create my-custom-library.so from C++ files
> that are importable into Python.
>
> I know I can do all this with boost, but at the moment  I'm not trying
> to, I'm trying to use the built-in functionality that python provides
> via its (3rd time I say this) distutils module to create the
> library.so from C++ to be imported into python.
> If this list is for boost-only questions, then can anyone please point
> me to a place I can ask questions about Python's distutils, C++
> integration.

It's not strictly a boost-only list, but few people here are doing this
kind of thing with distutils.  I suggest you find a distutils-related
list if you want to ask where people know the answers.

BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com