[C++-sig] new to python; old to C++

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 02:58:08 CET 2008

Intersting discussion, but if the time spent crossing the language boundary becomes rate
limiting (irrespective of the wrapping tool used), the design of the system is questionable
IMO.

We use C++ as a way to accelerate calculations that are rate-limiting if implemented in
Python, i.e. to implement something with a significant runtime. In all practical situations
I encountered, this means the time spent crossing the language boundary is insignificant
in comparison to the time spent doing the actual calculation.

If that's not the case, the algorithm is probably simple and a pure Python solution is
better anyway.

BTW: I write all my Boost.Python wrapper code manually. Typically it adds only about 1% to
the development time of new algorithms. Probably, the biggest problem is getting used to
the tools. But for someone old to C++, this should be a minor hurdle to take. It is more
a problem for (Python) people not used to the gotchas of C++.

Ralf