[C++-sig] [pybindgen] references?

Alan Baljeu alanbaljeu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 01:18:47 CET 2008

From: Stefan Seefeld <seefeld at sympatico.ca>
>If you need fine-grained control about argument passing policies (as
>soon as you need reference-semantics, you have to be careful about
>lifetime management, for example), you are better off writing
>boost.python bindings manually, I would suggest.
>
>Regards,
>       Stefan

void baz(foo &x);

If I have a foo, I call baz with it, foo's contents may change but it's still the same object.  I don't see an issue here, unless foo is a smart pointer type.

And the only smart pointers I receive are weak references, and I'm assuming/planning that the referenced object doesn't get destroyed.  So I'm feeling safe to not concern myself.

Alan