[C++-sig] looking up functions

Alan Baljeu alanbaljeu at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 13 15:40:31 CET 2008

I'm reading the Python extension tutorial, and I cannot believe the embedding section.  It tells me the only way to call a python function is to callout to python to pass back a function object which I then save so I can call it when I need to.  This seems ridiculous.  Surely there is a way to obtain Python function objects without going through that!  Does somebody have a way to ask for a function by name?

Also, perhaps somebody can explain if there is something about Python that makes this difficult, why such is not the default way of doing interop.

 Alan Baljeu