[C++-sig] Object destructor not always called in embedded interpreter

Thomas Berg merlin66b at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 20:26:10 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Tanguy Fautré <tfautre at telenet.be> wrote:
>> Hi Tanguy,
>>
>> I'm no python expert, but I think it works as follows:
>> When you import __main__, it is added to the internal list of modules
>> in python. It's __dict__ is therefore also referenced. So even though
>> you no longer reference it, the __dict__ will still be referenced by
>> the interpreter itself, and it's refcount doesn't reach 0 until you
>> finalize the interpreter...
>>
>> So, what can you do? I also wanted to be able to clear the interpreter
>> and re-run scripts in clean namespaces, without re-initializing the
>> interpreter.
>>
>> This can be achieved by calling clear() on the namespace (it's a dictionary).
>>
>> However, that also clears the members "__builtins__", "__doc__" and
>> "__name__", which are needed (at least __builtins__) if you want to
>> execute code again. I solved this too, simply by re-initializing those
>> variables again after clearing the dictionary.
>>
>> I also discovered that a similar initialization enables you to create
>> other modules than the "__main__" module (using PyImport_AddModule
>> instead of import) and execute scripts in those too, which can be
>> useful. I don't know whether this is the "correct" way of doing things
>> though...
>>
>> See below for an example.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Thomas
>>
>> [...]
>

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the advise, it seems to work. It's also good to know how to create other modules.
>
> Although, I'm still surprised by this. Because I'm copying the __dict__ of __main__ instead of referencing it (I've even tried directly calling dict.copy()). So I'm surprised by the fact that the interpreter would hold a reference to my copy.
>
> I've also tested the following code, and it seems to do the same as yours (as far as I can tell) and can be called several time. Notice how the clear() at the end seems to only affect the copy and not the __main__.__dict__.
>

> object main_module = import("__main__");
> object main_namespace = main_module.attr("__dict__");
> dict new_namespace(main_namespace);
>
> object ignored = exec_file("main.py", new_namespace, new_namespace);
>
> new_namespace.clear();
>

> Thanks for your help!
> Cheers,
>
> Tanguy
>

> PS: I apologize if there is any problem with my posts (e.g. formatting), I'm forced to use my ISP webmail for the moment.

Hi Tanguy,

The behaviour surprises me too.

In my early attempts at embedding, I tried making copies of the
__main__ module's dictionary too. I don't remember why, but after a
lot of experiments I ended up just using the original dictonary, and
clearing it after use. I didn't even notice your dictionary copying
when I wrote the previous post...

If someone knows, I would like to get an explanation to this
behaviour. There seems to be something "magical" going on. One thing I
tried was to make a deep copy of the __main__ module's dictionary. If
I remember correctly, that wasn't even possible. Maybe it has some
special properties? Maybe we should try dumping all it's attributes?
If it was just an ordinary dictionary, deep-copying it should have
been possible.

Cheers,
Thomas