[C++-sig] Boost.Python app keeps crashing in debug

Martin Walser NurEinDummy at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 09:08:53 CET 2009

Hi David!

David Abrahams wrote:
> No, that's not normal.  Or at least, it's not intended.  You might try
> using <define>BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB to suppress automatic linking altogether.

Thought so that this is the cause for the trouble. Thx for the hint.
Put the parameter in the bjam parameter (as you proposed later).
(I still haven't found out how those Jam files work)
See below...

> What header?  Why would you do that?

Googling brought me to this approach... uhm...

> Did you follow the directions in
> http://boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html
> ?
>
> This used to work.  If someone broke it, I'm not sure how or who.

I think so...

Tried adding in the BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB parameter as you proposed...

I made sure that python25.lib won't be used by renaming it to _python25.lib

Invoking

C:\libs\boost\boost\boost_1_35_0\libs\python\example\quickstart>bjam
toolset=msvc --verbose-test test python-debugging=on define=BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB

result in: (see last line)

C:\libs\boost\boost\boost_1_35_0\libs\python\example\quickstart>bjam
toolset=msv
c --verbose-test test python-debugging=on define=BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB
warning: Graph library does not contain optional GraphML reader.
note: to enable GraphML support, set EXPAT_INCLUDE and EXPAT_LIBPATH to the
note: directories containing the Expat headers and libraries, respectively.
warning: skipping optional Message Passing Interface (MPI) library.
note: to enable MPI support, add "using mpi ;" to user-config.jam.
note: to suppress this message, pass "--without-mpi" to bjam.
note: otherwise, you can safely ignore this message.
Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(don't panic: this is a strictly optional feature).
...patience...
...found 1199 targets...
...updating 6 targets...
msvc.link.dll
bin\msvc-8.0\debug\python-debugging-on\threading-multi\extending.p
yd
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'python25.lib'