[C++-sig] [boost] [Python] GSoC and Python 3.0 Support

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 13 19:19:59 CET 2009

Niall Douglas wrote:

> I would say that any GSoC project should choose *one* of the above
> rather than try combining them. Better to do one thing well and in
> stages than many things at once (unless you have loads of spare
> time!).

I agree. (I wouldn't mind seeing projects for all of the above, but they
definitely shouldn't be combined into one.)

>>> Thanks! Seems there's a lot of interesting. So would anyone willing to
>>> mentor this?
>>>
>> Sadly, I suspect that finding a mentor will be difficult (perhaps even more
>> difficult than the actual project). Off the top of my head, the following
>> folks come to mind:
>>   - Dave Abrahams
>>   - Stefan Seefeld
>>   - Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve
>>   - Roman Yakovenko
>> You might try contacting them off list or on c++-sig (cc'ed on this email).

I'm willing to participate, in particular, if other folks such as David
are part of such a team, too. (While I believe I understand enough of
both C++ and Python, lots of boost.python is still very obscure, so
having David being part would greatly help. May be we could take the
opportunity and collectively work on the (internal) boost.python docs, too.

David, I notice you already indicated support. Could we team up for this ?
(I will be out on vacation for about two weeks during the summer. Other
than that I should be available throughout the summer.)

Thanks,
       Stefan